In October of 1896, George Jessop, Sr. and nine other men from the community formed the Marble Hill Fire Department. The nearest fire station at the time was in Towson, seven miles away, which had opened its doors in 1882. Seven miles was too far to be helpful, so Mr. Jessop and his neighbors used a carriage house on the corner of York and Shawan Road that belonged to Mr. Abram Ensor. The initial fire department consisted of twelve volunteers and a 20-gallon tank mounted on three wheels and pulled by hand.
The department upgraded to a horse drawn ladder truck with a and operated pump in 1898, which was more effective than the hand drawn cart in the hills and valleys of Cockeysville. It was too large to fit into Mr. Ensors carriage house, so the company’s Captain at the time, Mr. Jacob Fowble, offered to sell his carpentry shop on the corner of York and Ashland to the fire department.
By 1900, Cockeysville’s growth had outstripped the abilities of the horse drawn ladder truck, and the Baltimore County Commissioners offered to loan the department a larger horse drawn engine. The horse drawn engine was too large for the carpentry shop obtained in 1898, so once again the department was forced to look for a new fire station. A building in front of the carpentry shop became available, and each member of the fire department contributed $100.00 to obtain the building. The department moved into this location in 1900 and remained there until 1928.
In 1914, the department obtained their first auto engine: a 400 HP motor driven fire truck.
In 1917, the department officially incorporated under the name Cockeysville Volunteer Fire Company and were well regarded in the community as effective and efficient.
In late 1927, the station caught fire. It was then necessary to find yet another place to call home. The company operated from the Reckord’s Motor Company showroom until the new station was built in 1928 on York Road.
In 1929, a Nash ambulance arrived at the Cockeysville Volunteer Fire Company, and was immediately placed in service. It became the first volunteer fire company in the state of Maryland to provide free ambulance service to the community.
Over the years, the company upgraded its equipment several times, but did not move locations again until mid 1990.
The company then moved into a more modern facility at its current location.